During 3rd and 4th grade my parents sent my brother and I to Mariposa
School in California. Mom was a sign language interpreter at the time
and one of her deaf kids also went to Mariposa so she exchanged our
tuition for doing the work with the deaf kid at the school. The school
was interesting. There was a yurt on the grounds and an amazing
playground with tire swings and an army net for climbing, this was prior
to the fancy playgrounds that are made today for children. We would
meditate with the teachers in the yurt.
The teachers
themselves were very unusual, they all lived on the school grounds in
smaller yurts. Most were lesbian women and in the summertime shirts were
optional for the teachers. School would not be in session but when you
went for a visit in the summer to the farm that was also on the grounds,
the women would be shirtless. Boobs were everywhere bouncing all over
the place, feeding the farm animals, milking the goats, cooking dinner
for the community (it was pretty much a commune.) One woman was called
Sage Mountainfire and she was a larger lady, us kids called her knee
knockers because without a shirt her long boobs would reach down
touching her knees as she sat in circle time which was basically just a
down time, sort of like meditation.
One of the cool
factors about the school is we would go on long field trips with the
teachers. Imagine 2nd and 3rd graders on a camping trip for 5 days
straight hours from home with teachers and chaperones. On one trip, they
were trying to teach us kids about isolation and learning how to love
ourselves when we were alone. They dropped off each kid at a camping
site in the woods about 100 feet away from each other. So crazy because
this was 1984 and at that time, kids were left alone everywhere. That
could never happen in these times. My alone time was spent watching ants
march on logs and recording the things I heard and saw in a journal. I
couldn't see another kid in site because they were so far away. Mostly I
was bored to tears as I would have preferred playing with other kids.
On the same field trip we went to Bodie, a ghost town in California and
to Mono lake. Mono lake is so beautiful. It has these structures that
are similar to underground caverns in Virginia. Only they rise above.
The lake itself is 760,000 years old, it's ancient and when you are
there it's like you landed in an alien world.
Also on
this field trip was the first time I saw another girl's vagina. I was in
3rd grade but because I was so advanced in school and mature I was put
with the 4th and 5th graders. We would all play truth or dare when left
alone, about 15 kids. One of the 5th graders was dared to show her
private part and it was the first time I had ever seen another girl
nude. I was amazed because she was very advanced and as a 5th grader, I
saw pubic hair on someone else besides my mother for the first time.
These kids were well beyond their ages because of their maturity and
open upbringing, their parents were obviously hippies who brought them
up alternatively and freely. Other games played were kissing and orgy
games, where everyone would be kissing each other and fondling one
another on top of their clothing. It was the first time I had been
touched in my sex too. I remember being turned on in a strange manner.
Most
of the kids were Jewish for some odd reason, the same with the
teachers. So they were Jewish Lesbian Hippies. Because of the Jewish
decent, us kids were taught a lot about War World II and the Holocaust. We read "Diary of Anne Frank", celebrated Passover and Hanukkah instead of Christian based holidays. I learned a lot
there about an alternative oppressed history. Here's the best part,
instead of playing cops and robbers or cowboys and indians we would play Nazis and jews sending each other to pretend concentration camps with
larger then life German accents.
No comments:
Post a Comment