I'm listening to William Basinski's "Disintegration Loops" now. It's got an interesting story behind it. He recorded the last of this work's tape loops on 9/11 and he could watch the trade centers burning in the background from his rooftop. The intentional process of the tape loops disintegrated and broke down paralleling the deterioration of the buildings after the attack. It's a very sad piece of music but melancholic at the same time.
Everything even buildings and tape loops are vulnerable eventually breaking down at some point in the future.
There is a song by Talking Heads called "Nothing But Flowers" and I listened to the live version just the other day. It also touches on such breaking down. Let me get the lyrics. They are great. In the song it describes how nature takes over modern civilization in the future. Again the breaking down of society. Nothing is forever, well I take that back. Maybe "energy" is forever and is just transferred to something else? Even when a star explodes, doesn't the explosion or rather compaction conceive new stars?
References
"The Disintegration Loops," Wikipedia, date unknown, retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Disintegration_Loops
Here we stand
Like an Adam and an Eve
Waterfalls
The Garden of Eden
Two fools in love
So beautiful and strong
The birds in the trees
Are smiling upon them
From the age of the dinosaurs
Cars have run on gasoline
Where, where have they gone?
Now, it's nothing but flowers
Like an Adam and an Eve
Waterfalls
The Garden of Eden
Two fools in love
So beautiful and strong
The birds in the trees
Are smiling upon them
From the age of the dinosaurs
Cars have run on gasoline
Where, where have they gone?
Now, it's nothing but flowers
There was a factory
Now there are mountains and rivers
You got it, you got it
Now there are mountains and rivers
You got it, you got it
We caught a rattlesnake
Now we got something for dinner
We got it, we got it
Now we got something for dinner
We got it, we got it
There was a shopping mall
Now it's all covered with flowers
You've got it, you've got it
Now it's all covered with flowers
You've got it, you've got it
If this is paradise
I wish I had a lawnmower
You've got it, you've got it
I wish I had a lawnmower
You've got it, you've got it
Years ago
I was an angry young man
And I'd pretend
That I was a billboard
Standing tall
By the side of the road
I fell in love
With a beautiful highway
This used to be real estate
Now it's...
I was an angry young man
And I'd pretend
That I was a billboard
Standing tall
By the side of the road
I fell in love
With a beautiful highway
This used to be real estate
Now it's...
No comments:
Post a Comment